Wednesday, March 11, 2009

......AND HERE THEY ARE!!!






A few weeks ago (okay, so February 12th is more than a few weeks), I took Madie and one of her friends to an art history lecture over at the Carlos. It was a lecture from Dr. Gay Robbins, the author of my Art History class textbook. She is world renouned, and just totally awesome! My Art History professor, Dr. Melinda Hartwig, recommended the class go attend. Dr. Robbins was speaking about ancient Egyptian culture and the jewelry pieces that they wore. I had never been to the Carlos, and really wanted to go.

....Wait.

You don't know what the heck the 'Carlos' is, you ask?

Okay, here in Atlanta we lovingly call it the "Carlos" and it is the "Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory" which, of course, is at the Emory University. It is the most awesome museum collection of Egyptian Antiquities that you would ever want to see!

I get chills just thinking that these pieces were created thousands of years ago. And here they are! Right here in our back yard...waiting for us to go by and take a peek. It's like a time machine, only you don't have to jump back thousands of years in the past. You get to stay here, in the present time, with all the modern plumbing included.



I look at this picture of Madie and chuckle. The art history lecture was scheduled to start after 6:00pm, so the Carlos was closed. She was disappointed that the doors were locked to the museum, but she was just crazy for the artwork that was hanging on the walls or sitting on tables for display. She took a million pictures. I took a million pictures. So, together we should have about two million pictures, right? Well, not exactly that many...but a darn good bunch! I love this picture the most of all. She was pretending to be a tour guide, pointing out artwork and making up stuff as she went. It was just hilarious to be a part of her magical tour and step back into time.

It was great fun---And the museum was even closed!! I can't wait to go back and see it when the museum is open. It is awesome that we can choose to make our own fun, no matter where we are and in spite of our circumstances. I love that about my daughter.

I'm not sure if she has a future as a tour guide, what with the frumpy hair (don't EVEN go there!) and being so short. But, she sure can think fast on her feet and provide hours of entertainment talking about things she barely can even pronounce. Personally, I believe it is her big feet that gives her that finely honed sense of humor, confidence, and wit......But then, she gets those from her mother! (ha!ha!...get it? fast on her "feet"....really big feet....okay, it was a joke!)

Seriously, though. The Carlos is one of Atlanta's best kept secrets! So, GO! ENJOY! LEARN!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Regina,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I still check on Madie's page often. Now, I have to admit that I am not into art that much, but this will be an interesting page b/c my friend is here. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina! Long time no talk! :) I stopped by Madie's page - and saw that you'd started a blog, so of course I had to pop on over and say hi! I hope that all is well for you both - give her a big hug from me! :)

    *Jennifer C* only it's not C anymore - it's W! (I got married in September!)

    ReplyDelete