Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My First Love....




















My biggest love right now is my daughter, Madie.

Second to that, I love photography.
Truthfully, I love the picture.
And I love taking pictures.
I love the idea of taking pictures.
I love the idea of capturing time on a piece of paper. I love the artwork, the imagination, the details, the essence of a nano-second in time being held within your fingers. The idea that it will never change gives me chills.....I get goose-bumps all up and down my arms. brrrrrrrrr......
Yes. I love film, photography, pictures....oh, whatever the heck it is that you want to call it.


Always have.....always will.


I have loved film and camera's since my very first one, back when I was 6 years old. Of course, it did not work. It was broken. But I could pretend. And I loved it.

And before that, I remember being teeny-tiny, my uncle taking pictures with a new type of camera! Point! Click!! Pull (very hard)!! Peel the photo off the film......blow on it.....watch the paper produce a black and white picture right before your eyes!



It was magic!



I was in Heaven!



Instant pictures!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

It was just "something" about capturing the moment in history, space and time.
It was truth. Pure, crystal clear, truth. No thinking. Just looking.

Yes, I have always, ALWAYS loved pictures.

I remember spending Saturdays with my Grandmother, going through all her boxes of pictures.
She even had the metal "tin" pictures from the very first camera's that were ever used.
I faintly remember her saying that a great-grandfather was a photographer. These pictures were all of his, passed down through the family.
It was magic!
I was in Heaven!

I really miss those days.

I remember my very first 'real' camera that belonged to me. I still have it.
It was a blue-green automatic Kodak camera that my sister had given to me back in 1972. I used it to take pictures in our backyard, at my highschool, at picnics. I still have those pictures. Somewhere.

And then came DIGITAL camera's!!!
WHOA!!!!
HELLO!!!!
MY WONDERFUL FRIEND!!!!
How much more awesome could it get than to to SEE the picture that you are taking!!
How much more awesome could it get than to take 287 pictures at one event and not worry about how much film you have used! Or, not worry about how much money it will cost to get those pictures developed! (one vacation, I spent over $90 on developing pictures from 12 rolls of film...yep....I kid you not!)
I am still in shock that I can get a picture like this, in a heartbeat...or a blink of an eye.....(actually, her eye.....isn't it just beautiful?)........


















Sadly (oh my! did I just type that?!@##!!!)
Is it possible that there is a "SAD" part to digital pictures????!!!!
We just recently attended the Relay for Life at Gwinnett County Fairgrounds. I took my camera to the event, to get some pictures, and it was there that I realized my camera is just not 'fast enough'. I have a teeny tiny digital 'point and shoot' Cannon Powershot A520 that fits in your palm, but it does not reload fast enough from the batteries to get really good shots of "action". Most especially those of a Cancer Survivor who is pounding the heck out of smashed up car! I took her picture as she walked up to the car, but she had banged it three times before the crazy camera reset itself to take the next picture, so I totally missed it!

















I think I'm going to have to start searching the pawn shops for a better digital camera. I love my Powershot, and it has taken some really fantastic pictures for me. But, it's time to play with the big boys. So, you guys will just have to suffer along with me as I find the perfect camera and learn how to use it this summer!


And, of course, I need it for my Photography class at GSU!....or is that going to be a 'film' camera where I have to actually develop film with chemicals and a dryer and then put it on paper?.....be still my heart!!!.........I pretty much think so!!

:-)
p.s......Madie was the first child to actually make a 'dent' in the car with the adult sledgehammer, as noted by the gentlemen helping at the event. His eyes went up in shock and bewilderment as she landed the first blow! He said, "Whoa! She must play softball with a swing like that!" To which she replied, "Yep!"
And then she smiled really big........

No comments:

Post a Comment